Sunday, September 12, 2010

Grandma Magleby


RUTH MAGLEBY
Ruth Ross Magleby 1921 ~ 2010 Ruth passed away September 10, 2010, in Salt Lake City, Utah.She was born January 7, 1921, in Salt Lake City to Milton Hurlock Ross and Harriett Sophia Wightman Ross. Married Arlo (Jim) Maiben Magleby April 16, 1942, in the Salt Lake LDS temple. Raised their family in the East Millcreek area. Ruth loved to read, travel and china paint. She sang with the Shubert singers, met regularly with friends who called themselves "The Sewing Club" and went to Sao Paulo, Brazil, with her husband to help build the temple in 1977. Worked as a legal secretary for many years. Served a mission to the Washington DC temple after the death of her husband. Survived by children: Susan Schow (Nile), Wayne Ross Magleby (Eloise) and Mark Ross Magleby (Colleen); 19 grandchildren; 22 great grandchildren. Preceded in death by husband, son James and granddaughter Nicole. Our family is very grateful to the Wellington Care Facility staff and to Dr. Potter. Funeral to be held Wednesday, September 15, 2010, 2 p.m., at the Larkin Sunset Gardens chapel, 1950 E. 10600 S., Sandy, Utah, with visitation to begin at 1 p.m. Interment at Larkin Sunset Gardens cemetery.

She should have been happy with her life, but she wasn't. She was depressed and manipulative and mean. I do have good memories of her: dancing like Elvis, walking through the Petrified Forest with Grandma limping for a least 1/4 of a mile and finding out she had a very long cactus thorn poking into her shoe and foot, her stew was really good, she always had icecream in her freezer when I was kid, having to watch The Lawrence Welk show before we could watch Donny & Marie.

Then there are the bad (yet funny now) memories. "Your father thinks I'm crazy" is how she would start arguments with me when Kelly and I lived with her and I was pregnant with Brannon. She was not nice to my Uncle Wayne and Aunt Eloise. Not nice is a nice way of putting how she treated them...especially Eloise. She was not nice to my mother. But my aunt and my mom were always patient and kind to her. Rest well, Grandma. Bless your heart.

1 comment:

Jewels said...

Bless her heart is right. I remember every time we went to clean, she would clip my bangs back so she could see my eyes and I could hear her tell mom that her kids looked emaciated, I didn't know what that meant, but it didn't sound good and then she would make us drink Tang, supposedly that was supposed to help with our emaciatedness. It makes me wonder if she is happy now.