Friday, August 12, 2011

I am a Mormon and dangit, a Mormon just believes

This sad letter was published in the Salt Lake Tribune on 8/10/11. Sad, sad letter (I am being incredibly snarky).

The Mormon people are accustomed to persecution. Their founder was chased, tormented, tarred and feathered and finally martyred. His followers were driven from city to city, their homes often burned and their loved ones killed.

The governor of Missouri issued an extermination order against them. All of this happened in a land founded by people in search of religious freedom.

Now a Broadway musical about Mormons and the Book of Mormon continues the harassment.

Even the American Civil Liberties Union, which often comes to the aid of the underdog, is silent.

Any other group of people treated so poorly would likely be screaming, suing and staging rallies on the streets of Washington.

Amazing!

Carolyn B. Nelson
Salt Lake City
_____

So I wrote in (we will see if it will be published):

In response to the Carolyn Nelson (BofM Persecution), I have to say, "Find something constructive to do with your time." I moved from Utah to MN three years ago and am an active Mormon there. I have had so many non-Mormons ask me questions about being a Mormon and what we believe because of the Book Of Mormon Broadway Play.

The song "I Believe" from the play states everything we do believe. "The Lord God created the universe, I believe that He sent His only Son to die for my sins, and I believe that ancient Jews built boats and sailed to America. I am a Mormon..." Sit back, listen to the songs, and don't judge something because you don't understand it. Be a Mormon.

Stand up for all that is wonderful and weird about us. When the show comes to MN, I will be in the audience enjoying something great. Go out and do something kind for someone else who is not a Mormon. Be an example and remember to laugh at yourself.

Lisa Schow Amott
Waconia, MN

1 comment:

Cheryllyn said...

I hope it's published. Sometimes, it's those that take themselves so seriously that make it extremely hard for the rest. Great job speaking up! You're awesome!