Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Birds and Hockey

Yesterday I watched a mother bird with two babies on our front lawn. The mother was picking out worms from the grass and feeding them to her babies. When the babies felt ignored they would jump into their mom's side. Just like the saying goes, "Being a mom is like being pecked to death by baby ducks." It was very cute and all naturey.

Sometimes the memories we have of our childhood seem bigger, better, stranger and more crazy than what our kids' childhood is today. Case in point, hockey today seems much more mild than it did when I was kid.

The other night Brannon and I watched a show about the Philly Flyers Hockey team. This was their story in the 1970s. They don't wear helmets!!! They don't wear mouth guards!!! They are fighting every other second of the game. The fights were explosive. Because of the Flyers, the rule book for hockey got much bigger. So it really is not my imagination that hockey was crazy back in the 70's and my parents took me to see it. I would ask my mom and dad when the players were going to throw off their gloves and I would yell "blood on the ice." What a great childhood.



No comments: