Thursday, January 1, 2009

Happy New Year

Yesterday Kelly and I were out and about Minnesota...Minnetonka, Eden Prairie, Waconia. It was interesting to see how the Christmas Spirit has dwindled in people. "It is so cold that I am going to park whereever I want to...even if it is not a parking spot." "Hurry, hurry, hurry...you are in my way and I am the center of the universe." I am not bragging...just stating what we did because I like us...So Kelly and I froze a bit helping an older lady load up her trunk with her purchases. And smiling and saying "hello" to people. It was nice. It was good for us to continue to be nice even when we might to feel like it.

We stayed up. Played games with Dave and Karen Pulsipher from our church. They went home about 12:30 p.m. We went to bed. The New Year's Boy came because we put our shoes under the tree. Dara got her favorite chips and Bran got his favorite sweet pickles.

Who is the New Year's Boy? Well, he has been coming since I was a kid and Grandma Susan told Dara that she has always put one shoe out under the Christmas Tree on New Year's Eve and gotten treats and a present every year that she can remember. So.... it is a tradition. To signal the end of the Christmas Season and the start of the New Year.

From www.newyearin.com: In Greece, is the day of Saint Basil. Saint Basil was known for his kindness and Greek children leave their shoes before the fireplace in the hope he can fill them with gifts.

So, now we know.



St. Basil looks kind of scary. I am glad we shrink him down to a "boy"...a cute boy. Like this one:

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

The New Year's Boy. I like it! We might have to do that next year.

Anners said...

Nice tradition! Also, you are one of the nicest people I know (btw).

Ron said...

Hi Lisa!

WOW...I just scrolled down to the photos of your house with the snow. How beautiful!!! I know that it must be freezing there, but I'm such a WINTER person, so I know I'd be enjoying it. The colder the BETTER!

We've had such a wimpy winter so far, here in the north-east. I'm just waiting for our first REAL snow fall!

Happy New year to you and your family!

And thank you for stopping by my blog!